|Best Entry-Level Accounting Jobs in Houston|
After bagging an accounting degree from a reputable institution, you can hardly get a big role in top companies since you don't have the required experience.
Your main target should be entry-level accounting jobs. As a resident of Houston, Texas, what are the best entry-level jobs available for you? You have several roles to choose from.
A Review of Accounting in Houston, Texas
Now, you might think accounting is just about numbers, but in Houston, it's way more than that. You see, Houston is this bustling business hub with industries like energy, healthcare, and aerospace driving the show.
According to TX CPA, there are about 7000 registered CPAs in Houston, Texas. And guess what? All these industries need top-notch accounting to keep their finances in check.
So, whether you're a savvy business owner or someone just trying to make sense of their personal finances, Houston's got your back. We're talking about a plethora of top-notch accounting firms and certified public accountants (CPAs) ready to swoop in and help you out. They're not just about taxes, mind you.
They'll handle everything from auditing to bookkeeping and, if you ask nicely, they might even drop some invaluable financial wisdom to you.
What are Entry-level Jobs?
Entry-level jobs are essentially those positions that are perfect for individuals who are just starting their careers or don't have much work experience in a particular field yet. These jobs don't ask for a ton of prior experience and are like a welcoming doorway into the professional world.
They typically come with some trainings to assist you in picking up the nuances and honing your skills. The goal is to get your foot in the door, learn, grow, and eventually move up the career ladder as you gain more experience and expertise. So, they're like the first step on your career journey!
Best Entry-level Accounting Jobs in Houston
In Houston, you can find some great entry-level accounting jobs. Here are a few of them along with descriptions of what you'd be doing and the approximate salaries you can expect:
1. Accounting Clerk
As an accounting clerk, your main gig involves keeping financial records in check. You'll be doing stuff like entering data, making sure accounts are balanced, and handling invoices.
Think of it as the backbone of financial accuracy. Accounting clerks should expect to earn around $35,000 to $45,000 per year. Not bad for an entry-level position!
2. Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk
These roles are like the yin and yang of accounting. Accounts payable clerks manage payments the company needs to make, while accounts receivable clerks handle incoming payments and keep track of invoices. Accounts payable/receivable clerks earn roughly $35,000 to $50,000 a year, depending on the company and your responsibilities.
Bookkeepers are the financial record keepers. You'll be balancing the books, reconciling bank statements, and preparing basic financial reports. Accuracy is the name of the game. The salary of bookkeepers in Houston is between $40,000 to $55,000 per year. It can increase as you gain experience.
4. Junior Accountant
As a junior accountant in Houston, you'll assist you company in preparing financial statements, help with budgeting, and keep that general ledger in order. It's a stepping stone towards getting ready for more complex accounting tasks. You can make around $45,000 to $60,000 per year. Not a bad deal for a junior accountant!
5. Tax Preparer
Tax preparers help individuals and businesses navigate the tax maze. You'll make sure tax returns are accurate and submitted on time, all while trying to minimize tax burdens. Typically, entry-level tax preparers earn from $40,000 to $55,000 per year.
6. Audit Associate
Audit associates dive deep into financial records. They check for conformity, look for inconsistencies in the financial records, and make sure everything is in order. You might earn about $45,000 to $65,000 per year, depending on the complexity of audits.
7. Financial Analyst (Entry-Level)
Financial analysts analyze data, prepare reports, and give advice on investment decisions. You'll learn the ropes of financial modeling and forecasting. The salary is a bit higher here, around $50,000 to $70,000 per year, as you're getting into more detailed financial analysis.
How to get the best Entry-level Accounting jobs in Houston
Follow these tips to secure the best entry-level accounting jobs in Houston.
- Get the Right Education: Most entry-level accounting roles in Houston require at least a bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field. Make sure you've got the educational background covered.
- Create an Impressive Resume: Craft a professional and well-structured resume that showcases your education, any relevant coursework, internships, and skills or certifications.
- Gain Practical Experience: Look for internships or part-time accounting positions to get hands-on experience and bolster your resume. Practical know-how can set you apart.
- Network Effectively: Attend local accounting and finance networking events, join professional groups, and connect with industry folks on LinkedIn. Building connections can open doors.
- Consider Certifications: Think about pursuing certifications like CPA or CMA. They can add a significant boost to your qualifications and marketability.
- Job Hunt Strategically: Use job search platforms such as LinkedIn, Indeed, Glassdoor, and local job boards to find entry-level accounting jobs in Houston.
- Customize Your Applications: Tailor your cover letters and resumes for each job application to show how your skills and experiences align with the specific job requirements.
- Prepare for Interviews: Practice common interview questions, research the company, and be ready to discuss your accounting knowledge and experience.
- Follow Up: After interviews, send thank-you notes to show your appreciation and continued interest in the position.
- Online Presence Matters: Ensure your LinkedIn profile is up-to-date and professional. It often serves as the first impression employers have of you.
Conclusion: Best Entry-Level Accounting Jobs in Houston
Every professional accountant, especially those in executive roles, was once an entry-level candidate. Don't be shy about growing. Growth is the only constant thing in life.
You might be an entry-level accounting professional today, and in a few years from now, you will be in a big position. Don't relent.
Network with other accounting professionals in your field. Tell them to inform you if there is a vacancy in their organization and also apply for jobs online.